RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Faucet Blender Vintage Plated Kitchen Faucetsink Faucet Sink Water Tap Mixer Deck Mounted Washing Basin Faucet Crane
- High-Grade Orb European Antique Pull Faucet
- XSRKHomeAntique Centerset Pre Rinse Widespread withCeramic Valve Two Handles One Hole forAntique Copper, Bathroom Sink Faucet
- Brita Ultramax Water Filter Dispenser, 18 cups - White
- ETERNAL QUALITY Bathroom Sink Basin Tap Brass Mixer Tap Washroom Mixer Faucet All copper single cold kitchen faucet single cold dish washing basin sink mixer 360 degree r
- Chrome Kitchen Sink Taptaps pink golden Waterfall Faucet European Bathroom Basin Faucet
- Faucet Bathroom zinc Package Copper wash Basin Basin hot and Cold Faucet Black European Thickened Plating Single Hole Basin Faucet
- KHSKX Modern three copper shower shower head and circular movements with redating hand shower Shower Mixer with addition of coated steel pipe
- K Toilet Seats Toilet Lid, O Type V Type U Type Universal color Cartoon Universal With Antibacterial Resin Thicker With 2 Fitting Kits,I
- WMING HOME Sink Mixer Tap Bathroom Kitchen Basin Tap Leakproof Save Water Waterfall Hot And Coldthe Led Temperature Sensing color Light Emitting Single Hole
- Holife VC3NZ-1 Handheld Vacuum Cordless with Stainless Steel Filter(Up to 500 Times), High Power Suction for Home Carpet, Hard Floor Car Pet Hair Cleaning, Extra Safety Vac, Grey
- Bathroom Faucet Black Copper Hot and Cold Water Faucet Bathroom Bathroom Washbasin Shampoo Faucet
- Wall Decoration Storage Rack LOFT Wall Mount Cubic Shelf Bookshelf Geometric Racks Wood Separator Floating Unit Frame Wall Decoration Design Retro Industrial Style Shelf Shelf (Size B1)
- Zodiac Aries Semicircular Cushion Head of Aries Artistic Illustration with Tribal Ethnic Motifs Bathroom Mat H 35.4 xD 53.1 Black Pale Grey and White
- The Door Mats Doormat Living Room Bedroom Household Cotton Floor Mats Bathroom Toilet Water Absorption Non-Slip Feet (Size 45 75cm)
- Printed Door mat W35 x L59 INCH Easter,Ornate Ribbon in Egg Shape Spring Easter Holiday Seasonal Celebrations,purplec Levander White Easy to Clean, no Deformation, no Fading Non-Slip Door Mat Carpet
- Watercolor Round Floor Cover Artful Pattern Ripe Strawberries blueeberries Tasty Fresh Fruits Door mat Indoors Bathroom Mats Non Slip （4'6 Diameter） Vermilion Green Slate bluee
- NYDZ Bar Stool High Stool Bar Chair Solid Wood High Stool
- ROKTONG Painted Basin Faucets Hot&Cold Mixer Bathroom Basin Tap Brass gold Chorme White Red Faucet Crane,E
- 2 in. Kitchen Sink Basket Strainer (Antique Brass)
- Watts XFTE114 US Black Plastic Diaphragm Activated Top Entry Trough Valve with Float, 1 1 4 Inches
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.