RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Absorbs water and dries quickly, protect your kitchen from moisture and stain,entry way indoor mat with non slip backing
Non-skid backing, comfort and ease for feet to work on it.Unique design and stylish printing pattern decorate your kitchen, living room, bathroom, make fun for your family and friends
Great mat/carpet for your front door of house, bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, office and more
SODIKA offers these doormats with fun, cute designs to add to your doorway; including seasonal designs
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- MX Group Options Square Shower Bar Valve - Chrome
- SUhang Kitchen Sink Taps Stainless steel kitchen faucet, dish washing basin faucet, hot and cold water trough, faucet, swivel head
- Waterfall Type Faucet Thickening All Copper Hot and Cold Water Washbasin Basin Hand Basin Faucet,Short Paragraph
- StoryBook Pillow Disney Princess - My Princess Friends
- Commercial Single Lever Pull Down Kitchen Sink Faucet Brass Constructed Polished Stainless Steel Single Cold Faucet, Bathroom Basin Faucet, Kitchen Single Handle Single Hole Vegetable Faucet
- Marble Hill Lotus Reversible Comforter Set, King, Multi
- Pentek BP-410-5 Polypropylene Felt Filter Bag, 8-5 8 x 4 , 5 Microns, Pack of 20
- Wood Nordic Coffee Table with Drawer Storage Simple Modern Sofa Side Cabinet Household Small Table Desktop Waterproof Home Living Room Bedroom Leisure Table 120x60x42cm == (color White)
- Indoor Outdoor Décor Bee on a Flower Honey Pollen Floral Mother Earth Phase Wildlife Digital Print Black White Non-Toxic Waterproof 4'x6'
- Beige 424285cm FU CHAIR Solid Wood Backrest Chair - Casual Restaurant Cafe Office Chair Solid color Home Makeup Chair,color 10 Kinds,Size 42 42 85cm (color Green, Size 42 42 85cm)
- WYQSZ Coat Rack Metal Coat Rack Floor Clothes Drying Rack Environmental Corner Bedroom Living Room Fashion Multi-Function Hanger - Coat Rack 8563
- SUNNY Japanese-Style Solid Wood Creative Small Bench Dressing Stool (color C3)
- Cube Unit Bookcase. Bester Durable Plastic Storage Cube Unit Bookcase Stackable 30 Pounds with Provided Clips (Black)
- 4 Inch J-Box LED Canless Downlight; 7W=65 75W Equivalent; 40,000 Life Hours; Dimmable to 5%; Wet Location Rated; 120V; 550 Lumens; CRI 80 (Cool White 4000K, 4 PACK)
- Bulova B1909 Abbeville Clock, Walnut Finish
- Cambridge Siliversmiths Clarity Sand 30pc Flatware Set, Svc for 6
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.