RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- F Storage GAIXIA-Sofa stool Low Stool Change shoes Bench Sofa Stool Cow Piernnel Hall Storage shoes Bench Cartoon Animal Stool Storage Footstool 69x35x37cm (color D, Size Storage)
- Watercolor Semicircle Doormat Lilly Flower Pattern with Flying Birds Fauna and Flora Abstract Animal Imagery Halfmoon doormats H 35.4 xD 53.1 Multicolor
- Tea Party Semicircle Doormat Checkered Tea Themed Images Symbols Geometrical Soft colord Minimalist Halfmoon doormats H 47.2 xD 70.8 Green Brown bluee
- 3-Tier Kitchen Cart-Food Service Cart Microwave Stand Bathroom Metal Storage Rack Dining Car (Size 3 Layers)
- Shower Shower Shower Suit golden Three-Grade Effluent All-Copper gold-Plated Shower Faucet Multi-Functional Flower Sprinkler,C
- Commercial Single Lever Pull Down Kitchen Sink Faucet Brass Constructed Polished Kitchen Faucet All Copper Kitchen Faucet Hot and Cold Mixed Faucet Waterfall Sink Basin
- DF Bathroom Sink Faucets Contemporary LED Waterfall Brass Chrome
- SEOL-LIGHT Vintage Crystal Branches Chandeliers Black Ceiling Light Flush Mounted Fixture With 4 Light 160W
- Bathroom Sink Taps Faucet, Brushed Height Faucet, Hot And Cold Dual-use Mixer
- Ambesonne Video Games Area Rug, Monochrome Sketch Style Gaming Design Racing Monitor Device Gadget Teen 90's, Flat Woven Accent Rug for Living Room Bedroom Dining Room, 2.6 x 5 FT, Black White
- Bunn 36000.1188 Cafiza 12 Case Clean Tablets
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.