RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- BF-Bathroom Sink Faucet - Waterfall Chrome Centerset One Hole Single Handle One Hole,1
- Decorry Variant Curved Kitchen Faucet Copper Bath Lift Basin Faucet Mixing Faucet Kai
- Rod Desyne 1.5 Premium Heavy Duty Adjustable Closet Rod with Socket Set, 28 x 48, Black
- Jiaju Bathroom Faucet Chrome Brass gold Ceramic Dual Handle Single Hole Sink Mixer Tap
- Side L 30xW 10cm WYMNAME Linear Shower Drain Channel, 304 Stainless Steel Large-Displacement Drainage grates Rectangle Anti-Odor Hair Strainer-Middle L 50xW 10cm
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet The Antique copper shower set bathroom wall-mounted rain shower faucets sprinklers Lin Fung head faucet,A-2
- Oudan Basin Mixer Tap Bathroom Sink Faucet All copper single hole basin faucet creative hot and cold spill-resistant plating
- Makej Black Curve Bathroom Sinks Faucet Oil Rubbed Bronze Deck Mounted Mixer Basin Tap Solid Brass Bathroom Sink Faucet
- A LXKY Faucet, redating Pulling Hot and Cold Wash Basin Washing Basin Washing Head Retractable Function Lifting Faucet,B
- CZOOR European Antique Kitchen Faucets Brass Oil Rubbed Black Bathroom Faucet Dual Handles Single Hole Sink Tap Hot Cold Deck Mounted, pink gold
- LIUFENG 6 Inch Round Shower Head Rainfall ShowerHead Chrome Finish With Swivel Ball Connection for Bathroom Accessory
- Taps Kitchen Sinktaps Mixer Swivel Faucet Sink 304 Stainless Steel Pure Faucet Kitchen
- Retro Bar Stool Iron Art High Leg Chairs Solid Wood Seat Designer Creative Counter Stool Sturdy Household Seat 0522A (Size Seat Height 75cm)
- Animal Half Round Door mats Cats Themed Artistic Collection Framework Floral Ornaments Tribal Stripe Pattern Bathroom Mat H 31.5 xD 47.2 Multicolor
- BXJ Flower Stand European Style Iron Art Multi Layer Floor Standing Flower Pot Holder Indoor Living Room Balcony Storage (color White)
- XUYRENP European Creative Metal Hook Simple Home Living Room Bedroom Coat Storage Wall Multifunctional Solid Wood Five Hook
- Dressing Stool, Green Foot Stool Upholstered Footrest Iron Chair Bench Leather Seat Dresser Vanity Stool (color Black)
- Modern Style Rugs Simple Home Accessories, Geometric Pattern，Soft Touch Large Rug for Living Room Coffee Table Bedroom Bedside (color D, Size 160 × 230cm)
- Furinno 2-11157EX End Table Bedroom Night Stand, Petite, Espresso, Set of 2
- Picnic at Ascot 5 Piece Stainless Steel BBQ Barbecue Grill Tool Set with Aluminum Case
- Basin Taps Swivel Spout Faucet Antique Simple Kitchen Faucet 304 Stainless Steel Faucet Kitchen Washing Pot Faucet
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.