RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Linon Home Decor Four Oval Back Counter Stool, 24-Inch
- White Bar Chairs Counter High Footrest Stools Modern Furniture Kitchen Breakfast Dining Chair Velvet Fabric seat and gold Metal Legs, Max.150kg
- C GJD Solid Wood Stool Dining Chair Removable Fabric Leisure Home Computer Chair Stool - Small Stool (color D)
- FENGFAN Foldable Stool High Strength 200kg Capacity Unique Ergonomic Seat Design 46cm Height Folding Chair (color Green A)
- Polkadot Half Round Door mats Polka Dots Retro Classy Vintage Fabric Pattern Design Style Bathroom Mat H 35.4 xD 53.1 Apple Green Dark bluee Jade Green
- Corner Thickened Bookshelf,Open Shelf Storage Rack Shelving Unit Corner Frame Modern for Records Books-V
- Bedtime Originals Hello Kitty Luv Hearts 4 Piece Crib Bumper, Pink White
- Hansgrohe Shower hose Metal 1 2?x 1 2?Inch, X160?cm, Polished Nickel, 28116830
- Mangeoo Copper drawing white paint multifunctional redary washbasin faucet,B
- YAWEDA All Copper Kitchen Faucet Can Pull Pull Telescopic Vegetable Basin Sink Hot and Cold Water Mixing Faucet.
- Kitchen Brass Retrofaucet Modern Kitchen Mixer Tap Stainless Steel Kitchen Tap Faucet Solid Brass Kitchen
- High-end Luxury golden Ti-PVD Basin Hot And Cold Faucet
- Exing Basin Sink Mixer Tap redation Nozzle Bathroom Sink Single Lever Mono Washroom Basin Sink Mixer Tap,black Paint Bathroom Sink Faucet With Standard Fitting
- 1.5m Explosion-proof Tube Silver punch-free bracket Amber zheng Bath Shower Head Set Resistant To Falling Pressure Bath, Silver, No Tube
- A CJSHV shower Space Aluminum Black Shower Sprinkler Pressurized Nozzle for Four Block Shower Toilet,C
- European Retro Antique Black Kitchen Faucet 360 ° redatable Kitchen Mixer Sink Single Lever Mixer Tap With Ceramic Handles Health Low Lead Brass
- Oudan Taps Kitchen Faucetbathroom Sink Taphot and Cold Household Fine Copper Washbasin Washbasin Faucet Bathroom Bathroom Cabinet (color -, Size -)
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet Copper, sink and faucet, 4
- Plating Basin Faucet Hot and Cold Water Faucet
- FTUUC Fine copper bathroom basin wash basin bathroom basin sitting hot and cold faucet
- Mainstream home LPZSQ Tap Tall Single Handle Chrome Bathroom Sink Vessel Faucet Basin Mixer FaucetsBrass 693
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.